Monday, October 26, 2009

Women in the Sciences

My mother graduated in CS from BYU in 1984. The field was still relatively young, and I understand it was very math-oriented. I believe computer science has since created its own ecosystem of basic concepts and has strayed from the mathiness it once possessed. If this field were to embrace its mathematical roots, there could be a surge of female math majors investigating this discipline. The long hours spent alone coding on a computer which are required to be successful may be another reason why women are discouraged from this major. My mom met my dad (also a CS major) early in her track, and they spent a great amount of time together doing projects. I also know a girl in my ward last year who is now in the major, and she will only sign up for CS classes with another girl she knows in the major. Classes like CS 240 and 345 unfortunately are light on the social aspect of an education, and can deter naturally social people from the dark lonely confines of the first floor of the TMCB.

No comments: