Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Fans like Freebies

Music is like a crossword puzzle. Each word discovery sweetens the addiction and reveals more possibilities. Because of the Internet and P2P networks, my tastes have matured from Elton John and Genesis to the likes of The Aquabats and Lagwagon today. I was able to taste-test almost everything under the musical sun. I spent almost every weekend my junior and senior year of high school in a sweaty venue in Seattle, losing my voice and several hundred brain cells for 12 bucks a pop. My school shopping consisted of attending a concert and checking out their merchandise. After my mission I bought back almost every mp3 I had downloaded and deleted the rest. My love affair with music has continued though, and my interests continue to expand. I buy an album almost every other week and go to concerts almost every month. I still school shop at concerts. I am a fierce evangelist for several of my favorite bands, and have introduced many people to the bands I listen to. My life has been enriched for good, and I owe it all to Shawn Fanning. And Al Gore.

No comments: