Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Hello there, what's your guild?

I am glad for my disabilities. I had a stroke when I was born that left my right hand permanently impaired. Even so, when I was young I was virtually addicted to video games. I gamed until they became complicated enough that I could not use my left hand exclusively and still win. I gave up video games, but have continued to watch with interest the computing and video gaming world. I now realize how trapped I could have become. If I were addicted to single-player and non-immersive games, MMORPGs would have been the death of me. I have seen firsthand the destruction MMOPRGs can have on the family structure. I knew a coworker whose husband quit his job to play World of Warcraft when they were already both working and struggling to provide for their growing family. I have seen roommates miss important church meeting because they had not finished their game in time. I have seen addictions to video games evolve to addictions of things much more harmful than gaming itself. The threat is growing, and the damage is real. We all need to be careful.

No comments: